Local Initiatives and Resources
- Creating Sustainable Places
- In October 2010, a consortium of more than 60 regional partners, led by the Mid-America Regional Council, received a $4.25 million planning grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to advance the implementation of the Regional Plan for Sustainable Development.
- Creating Sustainable Places is not only a regional vision and plan to guide how we grow and develop, but a strategy for moving our communities from planning to action.
- Provide feedback on the draft Guiding Principles for Creating Sustainable Communities
Transit / Transportation
- Johnson County Transit (The JO)
The JO provides public transportation services to much of Johnson County, downtown Kansas City, Missouri, and Kansas City, Kansas.
- Kansas City Area Transit Authority
The Kansas City Area Transportation Authority (KCATA) meets the changing transit needs of metropolitan Kansas City by operating local and express routes, demand-response, bus rapid transit, paratransit, and vanpool services.
- Let’s Go Kansas City: Alliance for Transportation Choice
Let’s Go KC is a coalition of individuals, local organizations and advocates who promote transportation choice in the Kansas City region.
- RideShare Program
RideShare is a free, publicly funded commuter service designed to inform people about less expensive and environmentally friendly commuting alternatives.
- Unified Government /Kansas City, Kan., Transit Services
Provides transit services to residents of Wyandotte County through a number of programs.
Energy Efficiency and Conservation
- Kansas City Board of Public Utilities — Energy Smart Homes Program
Energy Smart Homes Hotline at 913/912-1004, or contact email@example.com
Energy efficiency programs, including a utility rebate/loan program, for Kansas City, Ka., residents.
- Missouri Department of Natural Resources — Division of Energy
Find out about opportunities for energy rebates and tax credits in Missouri. Learn More>
- Efficiency Kansas
Find a qualified energy auditor and energy rebate programs and opportunities in Kansas.
- KCP&L Smart Grid
KCP&L is building a next-generation smart grid in midtown Kansas City — and in the Green Impact Zone — that demonstrates new technology intended to reduce home energy consumption.
- Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kan. (UG)
The UG is providing homeowners an opportunity to get an energy audit worth up to $600, for only $100.
- Metropolitan Energy Center
MEC educates individuals and contractors about energy efficiency rebate programs, energy auditor training and other energy sustainability programs in the Kansas City region.
Local Community and Economic Development Resources and Information
- Downtown (KCK) Shareholders: Downtown Shareholders is an organization that works to create an environment in Kansas City, Kan., in which current and prospective businesses can thrive.